Introduction. The primary purpose of the National Space Society Space Settlement Art Contest is to encourage the creation of space settlement art that can be used by NSS for the limited use of promoting its non-profit objective of creating a spacefaring civilization. Such use could include the NSS website, the NSS magazine Ad Astra, and possible brochures and other promotional materials. We believe this use is for the benefit of the future of humanity and we hope and trust that this is a cause and use that artists would support. However, we recognize that some artists have legitimate reasons for restricting the use of their art to the Space Settlement Calendar Art Contest only. We therefore offer “limited use” and “restricted use” options when entering this contest.
Terms and Conditions
By clicking the “Submit” button on our Submit page [NOW CLOSED] and submitting your art to the National Space Society Space Settlement Art Contest, you hereby grant the National Space Society and its Chapters a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty free, perpetual license to:
- A. Reproduce said art and associated textual description (in whole or in part) in print, electronic, and other media for the limited purposes described below.
- B. Modify for sizing, transmission, or distribution of your submission without prior or additional consent.
- C. Use the artists name, likeness and biographical information in connection with the art being submitted.
You also agree that:
- A. Winning images will appear in the NSS Space Settlement Art Calendar.
- B. Submitted images will be displayed on the NSS web site in association with the NSS Space Settlement Art Calendar Contest.
- C. Submitted images may be used in articles in the society’s magazine and other membership publications in connection with the Space Settlement Art Calendar Contest.
- D. Submitted images may be used elsewhere in association with reporting of the Space Settlement Art Calendar Contest or publicity for or about the Space Settlement Art Calendar Contest.
“Limited” vs. “Restricted” use:
- If you select the Limited Use option, NSS may also use the submitted art in other promotional and advertising material in support of its non-profit objective of creating a spacefaring civilization. Such use includes the NSS website, the NSS magazine Ad Astra, and possible brochures and other promotional materials.
- If you select the Restricted Use option, any such use of submitted art in other promotional and advertising material would be subject to further negotiation with the artist.
The National Space Society stipulates that:
- Copyright is retained by the artist and the use of such art by NSS is limited or restricted to those described in these terms and conditions and that NSS may not grant use of the art to third parties.
You also agree that:
- A. The NSS Space Settlement Art Contest reserves the right to reject any submission without showing cause (in which case, neither NSS nor its chapters may use that submission for any purpose without the specific separate permission of the artist).
- B. The National Space Society will not be held liable if one or more of
the contest sponsors (other than NSS) fails to deliver an agreed-upon prize.
- C. NSS reserves the right to extend the contest submission deadline.
- D. This Agreement may not be amended except by written agreement between the parties.
Further, you also warrant that:
- A. The art being submitted is original art created by you and does not violate any copyrights.
- B. The art being submitted is not subject to any third party intellectual property rights.
If you have any questions regarding these terms and conditions, please contact the NSS Space Settlement Calendar Committee Chair at: (contest closed)