NSS Legislative and Grassroots Action Center
- NSS Position Papers
- Basics on how to contact Congress
- Join our Political Action Network
- NSS Policy Committee
- NSS Legislative Blitzes
Fall Fury 2019 Home District Congressional Visits
It’s time for this year’s Fall Fury Home District Blitz sign-up!
Sign-up link: https://forms.gle/NgTMdY7MjgcmcM9d8
For those of you unaware, Fall Fury (previously August Blitz) is an Alliance for Space Development event which takes place right at home. NSS is a co-founder of the Alliance.
Like other congressional visits, those who sign up will have the opportunity to meet with congressional staff in your home state. Meetings will be scheduled around your availability, and with your congressman’s home office. For those of you who could not make it to DC events like March Storm, this is for you!
Briefing material will be provided by the Alliance and will include several policy points regarding commercialization and other important aspects of Space policy. We would like to remind everyone that these policy points are not the only issues the Alliance supports, but rather the three most likely to be supported in the current Congress. Here is a detailed breakdown of this year’s talking points:
1. Supporting Space Development: Space offers extraordinary value to humanity, but will require large-scale economic, technical, artistic, and societal development. There are currently three bills which will add crucial language to NASA’s plan, such as the Advancing Human Spaceflight Act.
2. Supporting the Space Frontier Act: The bipartisan Space Frontier Act includes language to further the development of Space. Specifics include improving provisions for commercial launch license applications, authorizing a NASA LEO commercialization plan, and raising the standing of the Office of Space Commerce. The bill is sponsored by Senators Ted Cruz [R-TX], Kyrsten Sinema [D-AZ], Edward J. Markey [D-MA], Roger F. Wicker [R-MS], Gary C. Peters [D-MI], and Rick Scott [R-FL]. More info can be found here: https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/919
3. Supporting the NASA NEOCam mission: NASA’s NEOCam mission is an infrared telescope which will detect asteroids in and around the local area of the solar system. This mission builds on previous congressional goals of detecting more near-Earth objects, as well as a public survey which placed planetary protection as an extremely high priority. More info here: https://neocam.ipac.caltech.edu
Our talking point slides cover these three items as well as other specifics about the Alliance for Space Development.
People from all parts of the country are invited to join, whether a member of Alliance organizations or not. Feel free to invite co-workers, fellow students, family and anyone else passionate about space! This year, we are especially looking for members in key space states including California, Texas, Florida, Colorado and Virginia.
If you have any questions before signing up, please contact ASD Executive Coordinator Ian Burrell at [email protected].
Space Policy topics from the NSS Blog:
The National Space Society, America's leading citizen space advocacy organization, calls attention to the fact that under its new administrator, James Bridenstine, NASA has the potential to make a major step forward in space. Moving beyond a limited usage of reusable...read more
Summer is coming to an end, so it’s time to sign up for this year’s August Home District Blitz/Fall Fury!
By Dale Skran, Chair, NSS Policy Committee If you don’t already know, August Blitz/Fall Fury is an Alliance for Space Development/National Space Society/Space Frontier Foundation sponsored event which takes place in your home state. Like other congressional visits,...read more
Image: March Storm 2018 training session August Blitz/Fall Fury 2018 Home District Congressional Visits Coming Up You are cordially invited to join the 2018 Annual Alliance for Space Development/National Space Society/Space Frontier Society August Blitz/Fall Fury Home...read more
The NSS Policy Committee has endorsed a new initiative defining a set of: 2018 Milestones to Space Development (PDF slide set) Volunteers are solicited to write up NSS Blog posts on the milestones remaining for 2018. The purpose of this project is to: 1 - Call...read more
NSS endorses Space Policy Directive 2 (SPD2) which was issued May 24th (see full copy). This directive calls for a broadly scoped reform of the regulation of commercial space activities with a view towards allowing industry to operate more easily in space. Although...read more
By Dale Skran, Chair, NSS Policy Committee NSS is one of the sponsors of March Storm, a Washington DC Blitz event supporting a citizens; space agenda. The “talking points” slides for the March 2018 event can be found...read more
By Dale Skran, Chair, NSS Policy Committee NSS is one of the sponsors of March Storm, a Washington DC Blitz event supporting a citizens; space agenda. The "talking points" slides for the March 2018 event can be found here:...read more
Photo: 2018 Texas Blitz team meeting (L to R): John Cook, Congressman Randy Weber, Eric Bowen, David Cheuvront. By Randy Gigante, Texas Blitz Coordinator The Alliance for Space Development was very successful in targeting key Texas Representatives in 2017 as a...read more