Welcome to the NSS Kokh Lunar Library of information on the economic development and human settlement of the Moon. Peter Kokh, recipient of the NSS Gerard K. O’Neill Memorial Award for Space Settlement Advocacy, has been publisher and editor of the Moon Miner’s Manifesto for 26+ years and a former President of the Moon Society.
Lunar Resources Utilization for Space Construction. Study conducted for NASA by General Dynamics Convair Division in 1979 concluded that lunar resources could supply 90% of the material for power satellite production and become cost effective if more than 30 satellites are produced. A nice summary of this study appears in Toward Distant Suns, Chapter 8.
- 2010: Mission and Implementation of an Affordable Lunar Return. Paul D. Spudis, Lunar and Planetary Institute, and Tony Lavoie, NASA Marshall Space Flight Center. Submitted to Space Manufacturing 14 Conference, Space Studies Institute. December 2010. 30 pages [PDF 1.4 MB]. Also available from Spudis Lunar Resources.
- 2008: Space Settlements, Property Rights, and International Law: Could a Lunar Settlement Claim the Lunar Real Estate it Needs to Survive? Alan Wasser and Douglas Jobes. Journal of Air Law and Commerce, Vol. 73, No. 1. 42 pages. [PDF 0.1 MB]
- 2006: Structural Design of a Lunar Habitat. F. Ruess, J. Schänzlin, and H. Benaroya. J Aerospace Engineering, Vol.19, No.3. 25 pages. [PDF 2.9 MB]
- 2005: Public-Private Models for Lunar Development and Commerce. E. Sadeh, D. Livingston, T. Matula, H. Benaroya. Space Policy 21. 9 pages. [PDF 220K]
- 2005: Materials Refining for Solar Array Production
on the Moon. Geoffrey A. Landis. NASA/TM-2005-214014. 25 pages.
- 2004: Development of the Moon. Michael B. Duke, Lisa R. Gaddis, G. Jeffrey Taylor, Harrison H. Schmitt. 77 pages. [PDF 1.1 MB]
- 2003: Lunar Surface Reference Missions: A Description of Human and Robotic Surface Activities. NASA/TP-2003-210793. 132 pages.
- 2002: The Case for Commercial Lunar Ice Mining: Final Report of the NASA Exploration Team. 78 pages. [PDF 2.3 MB]
- 2000: System Architecture Development for a Self-Sustaining Lunar Colony. Douglas O’Handley. 69 pages. [PDF 1.4 MB]
- 1990: Geoscience and a Lunar Base: A Comprehensive Plan for Lunar Exploration. NASA Conference Publication 3070. 79 pages. [PDF 6.5 MB]
- 1981: Report of Workshop on Methodology for Evaluating Potential Lunar Resource Sites. NASA Technical Memorandum 58235. 58 pages. [PDF 3.5 MB]
- 1980: Handbook of Lunar Materials. NASA Reference Publication 1057. Technical report: the physical, chemical, thermodynamic, and geologic data on lunar rocks, minerals, and processes are summarized, and a set of data on metals that might be extracted from lunar materials is presented. 183 pages. [PDF 3.4 MB]