The National Space Society (NSS) is an independent, educational, grassroots, non-profit organization dedicated to the creation of a spacefaring civilization. Founded as the National Space Institute (1974) and L5 Society (1975), which merged to form NSS in 1987 (see merger proclamation), NSS is widely acknowledged as the preeminent citizen’s voice on space. NSS has over 50 chapters in the United States and around the world. The society also publishes Ad Astra magazine, an award-winning periodical chronicling the most important developments in space.
For U.S. tax purposes, NSS is a tax-exempt, 501(c)(3) educational, non-profit corporation. All donations to NSS are fully tax deductible (as allowed by your local laws).
NSS’ grassroots political activities are governed by the 501(h) election, which permits a limited amount of activity aimed at influencing U.S. legislation.
Contact Information for NSS is linked to in the footer of every page on this site.
- NSS Vision: “People living and working in thriving communities beyond the Earth, and the use of the vast resources of space for the dramatic betterment of humanity.”
- NSS Mission: “to promote social, economic, technological, and political change in order to expand civilization beyond Earth, to settle space and to use the resulting resources to build a hopeful and prosperous future for humanity.”
- NSS Rationale – Why Our Mission is Important: Survival, Growth, Prosperity, and Curiosity
- NSS Principles – What Does NSS Stand For?
- NSS Beliefs – What Does NSS Support?
- NSS Roadmap to Space Settlement
NSS Organization and Leadership
NSS leadership is provided by a member-elected, all-volunteer Board of Directors that provides strategic direction for the Society, and a Board-elected Executive Committee (Officers) that manages the functions of the Society and oversees a number of supporting operating committees.
Our Board of Governors and Board of Advisors provide additional expertise and visibility. The Chairman of the Board of Governors is Mr. Hugh Downs, former host of ABC’s 20/20. The Board of Governors includes Dr. Buzz Aldrin, Apollo 11 astronaut, Tom Hanks, Norman Augustine, General Simon “Pete” Worden, and many other notable figures.
The day-to-day operations of the society are managed by a Headquarters Staff led by the NSS Executive Director, with the assistance of operating committees, chapters, and other volunteers. Local volunteer work is generally performed through chapters: check our chapters listings to find a chapter near you, or organize a new U.S. chapter or starting a new international chapter.
The NSS Corporate Documents are the set of governing documents of the Society that establish the organizational structure and describe the roles, responsibilities, and operating procedures of the NSS leadership.
NSS FINANCIAL INFORMATION
MAJOR INDIVIDUAL DONORS TO NSS
NSS CORPORATE MEMBERSHIP
The National Space Society is pleased to recognize its past and present corporate partners and sponsors for their support:
- Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corporation
- Betty MacLean Travel
- Booz Allen Hamilton
- Computer Sciences Corporation
- EADS Astrium
- Lockheed Martin
- Northrop Grumman
- Orbital Sciences Corporation
- Secure World Foundation
- Sierra Nevada Corporation
- Space Adventures
- Space Canada
- United Launch Alliance
- Virgin Galactic
- Wyle Laboratories
- XCOR Aerospace