In order to maintain standing as an NSS chapter, both U.S. and International chapters need to file a report with the National Space Society every year. The reporting deadline is February 15 for U.S. chapters and March 5 for International chapters.
U.S. Chapter Annual Reporting Package (select one):
- Chapter-Annual-Report-2019.doc (Microsoft Word DOC format)
- Chapter-Annual-Report-2019.odt (Open Document ODT format)
- Chapter-Annual-Report-2019.pdf (Adobe Acrobat PDF format)
World Chapter Annual Reporting Package (select one):
- NSS-World-Chapters-Annual-Report-Form-2019.doc (Microsoft Word DOC format)
- NSS-World-Chapters-Annual-Report-Form-2019.odt (Open Document ODT format)
- NSS-World-Chapters-Annual-Report-Form-2019.pdf (Adobe Acrobat PDF format)
All chapter reports must include (per above packages):
- Updated contact information for your chapter.
- Any changes to your chapter bylaws.
- A list of activities for the past year including a description. Please begin each item/activity with the title of the event, the date, location, and approximate number of people in attendance.
- A chapter membership list
- Any other information chapters wish to regularly report to NSS.
All United States chapter reports must include:
- Financial information covering the previous calendar year.
- Permission for NSS to include chapter under NSS non-profit umbrella.
- Group Exemption Authorization Letter form (page 4 in above package)
- Proof that chapter has filed its Form 990-N (or separate Form 990) with the IRS.
- Forward a copy of the IRS response email or do a screenshot of the confirmation page.
Submit electronic reports by email to
While electronic submission is preferred, you may alternatively mail or fax your report. Mail your paper report (or required forms) to NSS Headquarters:
Attn: National Space Society Chapter Reports
11130 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 350
Reston, VA 20191, USA
You can alternatively FAX your report to: (703) 435-4390, ATTN: NSS Chapter Reports
All U.S. chapters must also mail, or scan then email, or fax a signed copy of their Chapter Financial Short Form (page 6 in above package).
Filing with the IRS (U.S. Chapters Only)
All U.S. chapters must also file with the IRS in addition to forms submitted directly to NSS above. U.S. chapters that have generated revenues of less than $50,000 may file via the online IRS Form 990-N (so-called “e-Postcard”).
IRS Form 990-N requires the following information from each chapter:
- Chapter name
- Any other names the chapter uses
- Mailing and website addresses
- Employer Identification Number (EIN) — Need one?
Click here for instructions
- Name and address of principal officer for the chapter
- Annual tax period
- A statement that the chapter’s gross receipts are normally $50,000 or less
- If applicable, indication that the chapter is going out of business
IRS Form 990-N (e-Postcard) is available on the IRS website at https://www.irs.gov/990n
If you have questions about this IRS filing requirement, please email
All other questions, or if you are having trouble accessing or downloading the forms that you need, send an email to Vice-President for Chapters David Stuart. The forms will be sent to you as an email attachment. Send your questions or request for forms to
or call 202-424-2899 and leave a voice mail. When sending an email please put “NSS Chapter Annual Report” in the Subject Line.