This portal page links to the latest versions of the governing and legal documents of the National Space Society (NSS) in PDF format. Where applicable, the documents are listed in order of precedence.
Bylaws and Corporate Policies
- NSS Articles of Incorporation
- Articles of Incorporation of the National Space Society. [January 1986]
- NSS Bylaws
- Defines the long-term objectives of the Society and establishes the top-level organizational structure and procedures for membership, chapters, and governance. [December 2021]
- NSS Procedural Rules
- Further defines the procedures for official votes by the NSS Board of Directors and membership. [June 2019]
- NSS Campaign Rules
- Further defines the responsibilities and procedures for NSS members who want to serve on the elected NSS Board of Directors. [November 2019] See also Candidate Forms for the NSS Board of Directors election.
- NSS Nominations and Elections Committee Rules
- Further defines the responsibilities and procedures for the two NSS committees involved with the NSS Board of Directors elections. [November 2021]
- NSS Chapter Rules
- Further defines the responsibilities and procedures for NSS Chapters and Society-level Chapters Coordinators. [July 2021]
- NSS Corporate Policies
- Further defines titles and responsibilities for NSS Officers (including the four Vice Presidents listed in the bylaws) and the operating committees they oversee, as well as other top-level policies of the Society. [April 2022]
- NSS Code of Conduct
- The highest standards of professional and ethical behavior expected of all NSS leaders. [December 2020]
- NSS Nondiscrimination Statement (adopted by the Board of Directors)
- The National Space Society shall not discriminate against or for individuals because of race, sex, religion, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation or national origin.
- NSS Policy Regarding Harassment and Discrimination [PDF] [HTML version]
- NSS is committed to being an organization free from all forms of unlawful discrimination and harassment, including sexual harassment [October 2018].
- NSS Statement of Philosophy
- Defines the approved Vision and Mission statements of the Society, as well as the official Rationale, Principle, and Beliefs governing its actions. [May 2007]
- Roadmap to Space Settlement
- Describes the major milestones that will likely need to be passed and the major barriers that will need to be surmounted in order for humankind to achieve the NSS vision of people living and working in thriving communities beyond the Earth. 
Historical NSS Documents
- NSS Public Finance Documents
- Separate web page listing NSS financial documents, including IRS Form 990 and Independent Auditors’ Reports.
- NSS Annual Reports
- National Space Society Annual Reports.
- NSS IRS Tax and Group Exemption Letter
- Confirmation letter from the IRS of the tax-exemption status granted to the National Space Society, and to its subordinante organizations (i.e., NSS chapters) via a Group Exemption Letter effective June 1974.
- NSS Merger Proclamation
- Establishes the National Space Society via the merger of the National Space Institute and the L5 Society. [March 1987]