The National Space Society’s Policy Committee is responsible for formulating and implementing the Society’s positions on space activities, from NASA to industry to commercial and entrepreneurial spaceflight. As a grass-roots advocacy and educational organization, NSS is proactive and forward-thinking in sharing its message with the public and with elected officials. The NSS Policy Committee, chaired by NSS Executive Vice President Dale Skran, seeks to further the NSS mission through the following:
The Policy Committee discusses, debates, and formulates the positions that the NSS takes to advance the cause of human beings living and working in communities beyond the Earth. These positions are reflected in formal position papers, letters to elected officials, press releases, web site content, and messages presented during one of grassroots visit to Congress that NSS supports, which include the February SEA Blitz, the March Storm, and the August Home District Blitz.
The Policy Committee also serves to call our members to action, and to otherwise communicate NSS messages and policy positions to the public and to elected officials. Policy implementation activities include activating the NSS Political Action Network and providing logistical support for the Legislative Blitz.
What is an NSS Position on Legislative Matters?
There are two kinds of NSS Positions on Legislative Matters:
- Statements, including press releases, position papers, and open letters that are approved by the NSS Policy Committee.
- Statements, oral or in writing, provided by the Chair of the NSS Policy Committee, who is empowered via the Bylaws of NSS to speak on behalf of NSS on Legislative matters.
What is not an NSS Position on Legislative Matters?
Pretty much everything except what is listed just above, including:
- Statements by NSS BOD members
- Statements or positions from NSS Chapters or the Chapters Assembly
- Statements by individual NSS members
- Statements by NSS employees or contractors
- Statements by NSS officers who are not the Chair of the NSS Policy Committee
- Statements by the Chair of the Policy Committee provided with a disclaimer that they are not official NSS positions
Where can I find official NSS positions on Legislative Matters?
There are three places/methods of finding NSS positions:
- The NSS Position Papers page, where you will find a list of official position papers. These papers are the official voice of NSS on legislative matters.
- The list of NSS press releases. Statements found in NSS press releases can also be viewed as NSS positions.
- You can write the Chair of the NSS Policy Committee, [email protected].
Where can I find other kinds of NSS positions?
There are various items on the NSS web page that should be considered official positions of NSS apart from the Legislative page. For example, the NSS Space Settlement Roadmap is an example of an official NSS position found on the NSS web site.