Local Chapters of the National Space Society
What is a NSS chapter?
What does a chapter do?
- Holds meetings, private or open to the public
- Sponsors exhibits and information booths as various venues, such as malls, conventions, libraries, etc.
- Educates their members and the public by bringing in speakers to meetings
- Provides speakers–maybe a speaker’s bureau–on a variety of Space Settlement & exploration topics to various local organizations, schools, civic groups, etc.
- Appears on radio and TV shows as “local Space experts”
- Visits, calls or writes letters to local Congressional representatives
- Teaches courses (continuing education, etc.).
- Co-sponsors Scouting Explorer Posts, Young SEDS Chapters or other youth groups.
- Operates a chapter website, hosts chats, a Facebook page, or other electronic media for space information.
- Studies or researches space topics or concepts.
- Hosts seminars, star parties, or other events
- Provides speakers and support for local schools.
- Organizes or sponsors competitions dealing with space art, design, engineering, etc.
- Works in conjunction with other chapters or local organizations on special projects or celebrations: World Space Week, Moon Day, Yuri’s Night, conventions, etc.
- Raises funds via awards, rebates when recruiting new NSS members, and other methods allowed by their local government.
Why join or start a chapter?
- Chapters bring space outreach to your community.
- Chapters are the ideal networking vehicle for space activists.
- Chapters provide individuals with opportunities for leadership and for affecting space policy.
- The more chapters the National Space Society has, the stronger our pro-space message will be.
- It’s fun to be in a community of space enthusiasts
Is there a chapter near me?
How do I start a chapter?
How does the National Space Society interact with its chapters?
Chapter Annual Reports: With respect to formal reporting, all chapters are expected to complete an annual report to the Society. Details on how to comply with the reporting requirements are available on the Chapter Annual Reports page.
Chapters Assembly: A Chapters’ Assembly created by the chapters themselves exists to facilitate inter-chapter and chapter-Board communication. It holds regular free conference calls among the representatives elected from each member chapter. Although a separate entity, it reports to the NSS Board of Directors through the Chapters Committee.
Chapter News from the NSS Blog
Contestants (ages 10 to 18) in the 13th annual Reach for the Stars ~ National Rocket Competition (www.RocketCompetition.com) built and launched their own solid-fuel powered rocket at an event held in their area. Over 2,000 kids were involved in local competitions held...
The NSS chapter Chicago Society for Space Studies (CSSS) has just launched their new website with the primary objective of improving the chapter’s web presence and enhancing support for their speakers bureau..
The joint meeting of the Society for Technical Communications (STC) and Huntsville Alabama L5 (HAL5) Society is something to communicate about. In October 2018, STC President Julie Blair presented the idea of a joint STC and HAL5 meeting. Freelance Technical Writer...