Local Chapters of the National Space Society
What is a NSS chapter?
What does a chapter do?
- Holds meetings, private or open to the public
- Sponsors exhibits and information booths as various venues, such as malls, conventions, libraries, etc.
- Educates their members and the public by bringing in speakers to meetings
- Provides speakers–maybe a speaker’s bureau–on a variety of Space Settlement & exploration topics to various local organizations, schools, civic groups, etc.
- Appears on radio and TV shows as “local Space experts”
- Visits, calls or writes letters to local Congressional representatives
- Teaches courses (continuing education, etc.).
- Co-sponsors Scouting Explorer Posts, Young SEDS Chapters or other youth groups.
- Operates a chapter website, hosts chats, a Facebook page, or other electronic media for space information.
- Studies or researches space topics or concepts.
- Hosts seminars, star parties, or other events
- Provides speakers and support for local schools.
- Organizes or sponsors competitions dealing with space art, design, engineering, etc.
- Works in conjunction with other chapters or local organizations on special projects or celebrations: World Space Week, Moon Day, Yuri’s Night, conventions, etc.
- Raises funds via awards, rebates when recruiting new NSS members, and other methods allowed by their local government.
Why join or start a chapter?
- Chapters bring space outreach to your community.
- Chapters are the ideal networking vehicle for space activists.
- Chapters provide individuals with opportunities for leadership and for affecting space policy.
- The more chapters the National Space Society has, the stronger our pro-space message will be.
- It’s fun to be in a community of space enthusiasts
Is there a chapter near me?
How do I start a chapter?
How does the National Space Society interact with its chapters?
Interactions of the national organization with the chapters is handled via the NSS Chapters Committee. The Chapters Committee is charged with the responsibility of fostering productive relations between chapters and between chapters and the National Space Society. It is comprised of volunteer NSS national leaders, and appointed volunteers from the chapters community, who serve in committee posts (such as District Coordinator), established to conduct Committee business. The committee monitors programs for and of chapters and makes recommendations on projects and programs to serve the mutual interests of NSS and its chapters. Appointments are subject to the approval of the NSS Executive Committee. The Chair of the Chapters Committee is David Stuart, who reports to the NSS Vice President of Chapters Larry Ahearn.
Chapter Annual Reports: With respect to formal reporting, all chapters are expected to complete an annual report to the Society. Details on how to comply with the reporting requirements are available on the Chapter Annual Reports page.
Chapters Assembly: A Chapters’ Assembly created by the chapters themselves exists to facilitate inter-chapter and chapter-Board communication. It holds regular free conference calls among the representatives elected from each member chapter. Although a separate entity, it reports to the NSS Board of Directors through the Chapters Committee.
Chapter News from the NSS Blog
"Moon Talk" tells the story of how the Collins Radio Company in Cedar Rapids, Iowa developed the communication systems for the Apollo program. This documentary video will be shown in person and via Zoom at the next meeting of the Iowa chapter of the National Space...
Apollo 16 Breakfast on the Moon is a go for launch! When: Saturday, April 23, 2022, 7:00-9:00 AM PDT Topic: A free Zoom celebration of Apollo 16’s 50th anniversary (REGISTER HERE) Featuring: Lisa Westwood, Beth O’Leary, Michelle Hanlon, Michelle Wilmot Presented by:...
NASA Space Shuttle and International Space Station astronaut Clayton Anderson will be holding a Q&A session via Zoom for the next National Space Society Iowa Chapter Meeting: Monday, April 25, 5:30 p.m. CDT via Zoom or in-person at DMACC West Campus, 5959 Grand...